We deliver emergency medical services to 30 villages & 345 families! Learn more about our medical assistance programs.
ROWAN works closely with the health care facilities in the region to improve healthcare in the community, particularly to orphans & widows.
ROWAN ensures that all its members receive:
– Routine medical/dental check-ups.
– Access to medical care when an emergency arises.
– Healthcare training & seminars for ROWAN & the larger community.
– Assistance after a death in the family, including providing caregivers for the children & funeral assistance.
HIV/ AIDS Member Care
About 30% of ROWAN members are living with the HIV virus. ROWAN provides antiretroviral medication, bi-annual testing of white blood cells, personal counseling & home visits from our loving staff. Donate to our medical assistance program & help someone in need today!
Sub-Saharan Africa AIDS Epidemic
Sub-Saharan Africa is ravaged by HIV & AIDS more than any other region of the world. An estimated 22.4 million people in the region live with HIV. In 2008, approximately 1.4 million people died from AIDS & 1.9 million people became infected with HIV. Since the beginning of the epidemic, more than 14 million children have lost one or both parents to AIDS.
Three Major Challenges
1. Providing health care, antiretroviral treatment & support to a growing population of people with HIV-related illnesses.
2. Reducing the annual toll of new HIV infections, by enabling individuals to protect themselves & others.
3. Coping with the impact of more than 20 million AIDS deaths on orphans & other survivors, communities & national development.
(UNAIDS 2009 ‘Report on the global AIDS epidemic’)
Although Uganda was seen as a success story after its HIV/ AIDS victim population declined from 13% to 4.1% of the population, the facts still are sobering.
– Only 42% of Ugandans have access to proper sanitation.
– There are only .92 hospital beds per 1,000 people & on average, a mere .08 physicians serve 1,000 people.
– 57.78% of the female population lives with HIV.
– A total of 884,000 children have been orphaned by AIDS. (Uganda is ranked 5th highest out of 80 countries).